- My name is Shani Page-Muir and I have recently graduated with a First Class Honours in International Development with Politics.
- I have been offered a place at the University of Oxford to do a Masters degree in African Studies. But I am having some difficulty in raising all the funds.
Why African Studies?
- My undergraduate degree at Leeds University was definitely a catalyst for my passion for learning and understanding about the complexities of modern Africa.
- Studying at the University of Ghana in Accra for 6 months as part of my degree exposed me to the region's dynamic politics, economics and history.
- As a British Caribbean of African descent, I am passionate about challenging the negative perceptions of the African continent, and communicating a history that is more than just famine, poverty and war.
- I am particularly interested in the notions of Pan-Africanism, Africa Rising and the application of #blacklivesmatter in an African context (I hope to draw on some of these ideas in my dissertation).
- Studying African Studies at one of the best universities in the world, is an amazing opportunity to further develop my passions, enthusiasm and intellectual interests.
- It is my hope that the Masters degree will enable me to work towards becoming a professor in African Studies and eventually a diplomat.
- A Masters degree in African Studies from Oxford is a stepping stone towards my ambition.
WHERE WILL THE MONEY GO?
- I have been offered a bursary of £5,000 from the Oxford African Studies Centre, however, I still need to raise £11,358.
- This includes a further £7,488 to cover my university and college fees and £3,870 to contribute towards my accommodation costs.
- I applied for the Higher Education Funding Council England (HEFCE) bursary of £10,000 but I was unsuccessful.
- Although I have already saved some money for my Masters and I'm currently working full-time, this will not be enough. Therefore, I am hoping to raise £10,000.
- I am applying for a Professional Development Loan to cover my living costs, but if I raise an excess of £10,000 the money will go towards living costs, including money for books.
- I need your help to make my dream of successfully completing a Masters at the University of Oxford a reality.
My academic journey to date has been an interesting one: from failing my 11+ to achieving 11 A*- A at my local comprehensive school, to being told by teachers that I wouldn't be good enough to apply to Oxbridge, to being in the top 2% of my cohort at university, I've come to learn that all things are possible.
In the words of John Quincy Adams, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader”.
Please help me to continue to inspire others - those already before me and those yet to come.
- Facebook: Shani Page-Muir
- Instagram: @shaarns
- Twitter: twitter.com/S_PageMuir
Please help us to promote #chapter21 on your social platforms!
- Check out the rewards on the right hand side