A short summary of Nathaniel's project.
We are raising £6000 to transform and develop a large basement into a creative workshop and music recording studio for the community and young people.
My name is Nathaniel and I am supporting dabase OURFUTURE. I've been involved in youth work, mentoring and community projects for over 6 years and I have a strong passion for young people. I enjoy helping the community particularly through mentorship. This project is particularly important to me because i enjoy working with the youth and I know there is a need for these services. I have personally seen the results from this work and believe that these services will have a lasting impact on every individual that participates in the programme.
Dabase youth centre was Ashford’s FIRST EVER all-purpose youth and community centre which provided facilities for young people to call their own. The young people were in a thriving environment where they could learn, express, socialise and develop their confidence and skills.
With the 5 year lease now finished our members do not have a base anymore and are left with few or no options of anything to do. Limited amount of options available leads to boredom and boredom often results in anti-social behaviour i.e. vandalism, trouble making and getting up to no good. With government cut backs and the closing down of youth centres, little to no investment is being made into the future generation. Dabase is a much needed facility not just for the young people, but also for the wider community. We want to further the work we were doing and continue to impact and change young peoples lives.
The music recording studio was the most popular part of Dabase and we have found a venue big enough to continue what we were offering whilst also expanding our services, making full use of the space allowing us to offer more activities.
WHAT WE WILL DO
We will provide a creative environment which allows young people to express themselves through arts, particularly music. We will deliver accredited courses, workshops, life skills and financial education. Some of the activities and topics we will cover include the following;
· Encouraging entrepreneurship
· Mentoring and support
· Teaching, learning and self-development.
· Employment skills
· Community events
· Accredited courses
· Workshops and much more
What is the money going to be used for?
- £2160 will be used to cover annual rent, which after one year, da base our future will be able to sustain itself.
- £1420 will go towards renovation costs, which includes labour and materials, stripping down the room and installing walls, clearing, plastering, painting, installation of soundproof etc
- £2352 will also go towards a part time youth worker and studio engineer who will lead the activities once the centre is open.
We have received support from George Kowaree, Andrew Wickham and Derrick Symth from Kent County Council who have donated £3000 towards the project, which means the total amount now needed is £2932.
We need your help in making this project a reality and
provide a fitting environment for young people to flourish in.
In the words of Dhirubhai Ambani, “Give the youth a proper environment. Motivate them. Extend them the support they need. Each one of them has infinite source of energy. They will deliver.”
Apart from helping to create an amazing studio for the youth, I have come up with a list delightful REWARDS to show my appreciation for your support.
ALL donations, no matter the size, will be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you in advance to anyone willing to support this project.
Find us here
Facebook: Nathaniel Fothergill
Follow us to find out how we're doing, we will giving regular updates everyday!
Help us succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know as we think it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely we are to make this work out brilliantly.
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help make this happen.
No matter how big or small, all donations are welcome. Even if you can't give financially you can help by sharing and spreading the page.
dabase OUR FUTURE