The Looking Glass
- We are a student society at the University of York that publishes an annual literary anthology. All of our writers, editors, publicists, designers and production team are students.
- The Looking Glass Anthology (est. 2009) was the first creative writing anthology for students at this university, with volume one printed the following year. A new edition has been printed every year since, growing in size from 23 to 57 submissions printed, and coming to be produced by students from a range of academic departments. The anthology collects original poems, fiction, plays and other forms of creative writing and runs a competition to find unique artwork for its cover.
- This anthology is an excellent oppurtunity for great writers to have their work published in a high-quality anthology. The process of editing, proof-reading, publicising, designing and producing a published book is extremely enjoyable and also invaluable for students interested in publishing and media careers - but this isn't just about learning skills for the future, we're passionate about what we are creating now.
Volume Five Project
- We are in the midst of producing our fifth volume, we have had great success for the past four years and our goal now is to ensure that the anthology is still going strong for the years to come. Last year we made the jump from printing to publishing and this year we plan to make the jump from being a free publication to a self-sufficient project that can continue to grow year in year out.
- We are asking you to support this goal by helping us to raise the funds we need to print more copies that we have in previous years, the profits of which will go back into the society and directly towards the success of next year's volume six!
- The vast majority of the money we raise will go towards the printing costs, aside from this a portion will go towards publicity, so that we can ensure that our high quality publication reaches the audience it deserves and the rest will go towards a launch event for writers, editors and donors.
Do you want to support us?
- If you like what we're doing, please do donate what you can, but we would also love for you to be involved in the anthology by sharing this campaign and the anthology generally. Follow us on Twitter (@LookingGlassYRK) and follow our blog (thelookingglass.org.uk) to keep track of what we're doing and please share and help us spread the word!
"My favourite thing about the meetings is that it not only gives me the opportunity to read interesting poems and stories from other people at York, but that I also learn a lot about other people’s responses to literature when discussing the texts." - Courtney Garner, Editorial Team
"The Looking Glass Anthology demonstrates beautifully the way the young person thinks and feels, this anthology is not merely for individual artistic recognition of writerly talent, it can help us understand the consequences of living in this multifaceted world." - The Zahir